Would you like more information about FIESTA?

Click "webform" if you'd like us to contact you... Web Form

Monday, October 4, 2010

Got Respite?

I haven’t posted in a long time. I’m sure many of you have been checking in anxious anticipation, waiting to read what I have to say, wondering where I am. Alas! It has been a crazy few weeks. My daughter, Megan, 20, decided that she would spend a year in Seattle. This she decided, knowing full well that it would inconvenience me and cause further stress in my life. (What’s a mother to do!) She has been the best big sister in the world, as the sales people at the Dollar Tree and cheap movie theater can vouch. What nerve to leave me and pursue her own interests! Seriously, we couldn’t be prouder about the decisions she has made. I’m counting the days til she returns.

Turns out though, the schedule was less than ideal. In order to get Megan settled in on her timeline, I had to leave my week in Seattle, fly into Albuquerque, and then leave again the next morning for Orlando. “Why?” you ask….which leads me to the purpose of the story. I spent three days in Florida learning about respite programs - how to develop an idea, how to start it going, and how to get funding (a challenge). Jason DeHerrerra, CYFD subsidy guru, accompanied me. We learned that respite is one of the first things adoptive parents list as a need. We heard stories from across the country from people who have camp programs, co-ops, respite voucher programs, and intensive crisis interventions. We have come up with some ideas, but we need to hear from you. Do you have any opinions about what would be of help to your family? How often are you able to get break? Do you have someone reliable with whom you can leave your children and relax? What challenges have you faced in this area? The more input we get, the better. Either leave me a comment or give me a call. I’d love to hear your ideas.

Carol 1-888-298-7562

No comments: