Would you like more information about FIESTA?

Click "webform" if you'd like us to contact you... Web Form

Sunday, November 22, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW - "Where the Wild Things Are"

After my 11-year old and I went to see this, I felt compelled to share about this movie.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is brilliantly done. This is a wonderful movie for a psy student, or an adult. Unfortunately, this is NOT a movie for a child to see - IN MY OPINION, especially for those of us whose children have been through trauma.

The movie opens w/ 'Max' running through the house chasing the family dog w/ a fork. It was not an endearing run either, but a Rageful intent to harm the creature, which he does catch the dog (nothing is shown).

The movie is amazingly creative how they brake down each character on the island to describe the family dynamics of being broken and wounded. The creatures on the island are the 'Scape Goat', 'The Black Sheep', 'The Hero Child', etc...

You feel Max's loneliness and desperation; along with his mother. It is very intense. Towards the end, one of the creatures takes on a very dark and dangerous feel. To me, I could see and feel the dark and twisted pathology of this creature.

I would HIGHLY recommend adults see this movie, or young adults. It really brings you into an understanding of the destruction and hopelessness of a wounded home (and individuals).

I would be interested in others who have seen it.

Monica

2 comments:

Carol Gloetzner said...

I love that you filled us in. Always good to know what you're getting into when you take a kid to the movies....have any of you seen "The Blind Side" or "Good Hair"?

sheila said...

Hi, This is Brian - not Sheila - our first graders school brought her and all acheiving readers to this movie as a reward. I went along. It was very scary and Elizabeth had me take her out of the movie twice. I was even scared. I agree that it is not a child's movie.

Brian