Would you like more information about FIESTA?

Click "webform" if you'd like us to contact you... Web Form

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

New Parent Contact

Okay, so I go to my job interview with Megan Walsh here at La Familia for a position with this new service called NM Fiesta Project. I’ve met Megan before and she seems normal enough and not too threatening…still it’s my first job interview in about 34 years, so I’m feeling a little nervous. Should I wear the business suit and heels? Not finding anything that fits that category in my closet (okay, it’s hard to find anything but jeans….some days it’s even a challenge to find the closet) I did manage to get a shower and at least get there clothed and on time. I had already given Megan my basic information, so the first thing she said was, “Tell me about your interest in N.M. Fiesta,” and she poised her pen to take notes. I explain…

My husband, Ron, and I have twelve kids, five girls, seven boys, four adopted, seven grown, five at home, six bio, ten can walk, two use wheelchairs, ten grandkids, multiple pets, lots of doctor appointments, and four have special needs…okay fine, in this family we all have “special needs”. We have done specialized foster care through ARCA for about ten years. During that time we have fed kids through g tubes, given them oxygen, nebulizer treatments and meds, helped with prosthetics, devised ways to motivate acceptable behavior, answered the same autistic-driven question 472 times in one day, made untold numbers of mistakes, but mostly just made sure the teeth were brushed and the stories read and everybody tucked into bed on time.

I love to read any book related to adoption, (have you checked out the library here!?) love to help other parents find solutions to challenges or just be there to understand. We need each other because some of the things we go through as adoptive families cannot be understood by our best friends, our families, our bartenders or our pastors. Okay, I probably didn’t say exactly that, but something like.

So, can you believe it? I got the job! And I get a whole subcategory to myself! I’m here to support families who have adopted kids with special needs. You know when you start something new and you are excited and get inspired with all these great and interesting and outlandish ideas? Well, I’ve come up with a couple that actually have a chance of working, so I’m ready to get started. Please, please contact me if you have a suggestion, comment, challenge or just want to chat about your family. I can’t believe I actually get paid to do this! Come and introduce yourself if you see me at an event… I’m the young, beautiful blond with the perfectly behaved children….okay that’s a lie, you’ll have to look for my name tag.

Carol Gloetzner

5 comments:

Monica Cohu said...

Aren't you the cleaver one with comments! Yea!! I'm glad that we're not only good buds, but now we're co-workers too!!!

Monica

lavendergardener said...

Welcome Carol!

Sue Nachor said...

Welcome aboard Carol. Wow...I haven't even owned any of those other clothes for the longest time. I am an FC up here in the wonderful ABQ and have the wonderful pleasure of working on the other website, nmfiestaproject.org. When you have things to post about your area, just email me a litle note and I'll get it up there for you. Loving every minute of all of this. Good to have you "here".

Sue Nachor

Anonymous said...

Hello Carol,
Today I visited the site looking for guidance for our family and when I read your blog, I thought, "Wow! Another mom with a "real life" family. I would love to have a discussion with you or anyone in the Albuquerque area about issues faced in difficult adoptions. Can you please steer me in the right direction? Thank you, Denise

PennyB said...

YEA Carol!!! I'm so glad that you are taking this on! You are going to do an awesome job!
Blessings! Penny