Would you like more information about FIESTA?

Click "webform" if you'd like us to contact you... Web Form

Monday, August 31, 2009

Do you have a favorite kids' book?

I got the best suggestion the other day! (Thanks, Lara) Wouldn't it be great to compile a list of kids' books that we love? Those of us with multi-racial families or kids with disabilities especially seem to need suggestions about appropriate books. Once in awhile you run across a book that is just right. For me, that means it is well written to give my children a taste of the way that words can be beautifully put together. I love books with good illustrations, especially watercolors. But, for me the most important thing about a book is the message and that can be as simple as portraying the characters in appropriate skin shades and physical features or as complex as a twisting plot with colliding good and evil.
I have had an easier time finding preschool books that I love, than I have books for older kids. Hand Alphabet by Laura Rankin is one of my favorites. There is no text, only a hand on each page making the sign for each letter. The hands are old and young and many different colors. It’s a great book for all ages. Does it seem to you as if there is a real lack of great books for the elementary school set? Do you know of a book series that has healthy portrayals of non-white kid characters, an adopted character, or a disabled character?
Please let us know if you have a book you just love. Let us know if it fits into the category of picture book, early reader, or chapter book. Tell us why it’s a favorite of yours or your kids. It’ll be a good resource for all of our blog-visitors, give us ideas for the library and help us with choosing gifts for the kids on our lives. Thanks, Carol

5 comments:

Donna said...

My favorite kids'book is The Velveteen Rabbit.
All of my kids had this read to them..they all loved it..or maybe they humored me because they knew how much I loved the story!

lavendergardener said...

Our current favorites are Honey Baby Sugar Child and John Denver's Sunshine on my Shoulders. Beautiful illustrations and sweet comforting words.

wendy.mangum@la-familia-inc.org said...

In our house our bedtime favorite is Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney which we got at the Foster Parents Conference last year. The fun part is that now my kiddo reads it TO ME!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sheila said...

We love the book, "Just in Case You Ever Wonder" by Max Lucado. It is a wonderful book for both biological kids and adopted kids.